minty's corner

Friday, March 17, 2006

Oh, the shame and pain!!

I haven't been following the world baseball classic all that much until this past Sunday when Team USA eeked out a controversial victory over Japan. I assumed the U.S. would probably face off against the DR for the championship but boy was I wrong. Yesterday, I came home just in time to watch Mexico beat Team USA which eliminated the U.S from the WBC tournament..ugh..lost to canada and mexico?? WTF!!
Anyway, while I was looking for some more info on this WBC, I came across few interesting quotes made by some Japanese players. This was said by Ichiro Suzuki before the WBC: "I want to win in such a fashion that they [the Koreans] won't think they can beat us for 30 years." And after Japan lost its first game against Korea, Suzuki was quoted as saying "I feel ashamed of this defeat."
Tomoya Satozaki, after learning they had made into the WBC semifinals thanks to Mexico beating the U.S., proclaimed "As someone who makes baseball his life -- and this has nothing to do with the WBC -- for the sake of Japanese baseball, we cannot lose to Korea a third time. We are prepared, and I am confident of victory."
I guess a bit of the old Nipponese Greater East-Asian Co-Prosperity nationalism is good for Japan/Korea rivalry, ne? Banzai!!

3 Comments:

  • Harsh! But fair... I always love it when guys like this make huge claims they can't back up. Stil, they have another chance. I hope Korea doesn't f*&k up!

    By Blogger San Nakji, at 3/17/2006 12:33 PM  

  • Harsh? Hardly. Even Team USA or Team DR were't even making such claims. What suprise me more is how ppl act all suprised when the japanese make disparaging remarks about korea/koreans. It's plainly obvious how in general the japanese look down upon and dislike the chinese and koreans.
    A recent survey showed only 17% of japanese h.s kids liked south korea and only 10% liked china whereas a quarter of south korean and chinese h.s kids said they liked japan. Oh snap! that figure gotz to be wrong as the japanophiles have always claimed it's really china/korea not liking japan as japan couldn't careless or more japanese like china/korea!
    Bleh, I still can't get over the fact that team usa is already out of the tournament..;/ I hope A-rod and jeter do better in regular season..Go Yankees!!

    By Blogger minty clorets, at 3/17/2006 2:47 PM  

  • Oh man... I had feared that the Koreans would choke at the last hurdle. I guess I have to support Japan in the final, although I really loathe to...

    Go Angels!

    By Blogger San Nakji, at 3/19/2006 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home